Saturday 10 August 2013

Anime Review: Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

Genre: Drama, Slice of Life, Supernatural,
Episodes: 11
Overall Thoughts: First I cried, then I cried some more, and then I cried until I cried
Distributor: Hanabee



Image via Capsule Computer
With the movie adaptation of Anohana quickly approaching, I figure it’s about time for a review for the series that punched my feels so hard in the junk they threw up a little.
Anohana, was one of many series I jumped into on recommendation of a particular friend with whom I do little more than discuss which anime series we should each watch. Just like all the series prior I checked out from his advice, this one did not disappoint, however, it did manage to bowl me over like no series I’ve seen before.
The story focuses on a group of teenagers who were childhood friends but drifted apart after a certain significant incident involving the adorable Meiko “Menma” Honma.
Everything seems pretty normal in the first episode, however, it quickly becomes apparent that only the rather melancholy Jinta Yadomi is the only one able to see or hear Menma.
Image via Infonochikara 
Admittedly when I began watching, I believed Menma was a figment of Jinta’s imagination, however, the series deals its first crushing blow to your heart when it reveals that Menma is the ghost of the girl Jinta and his friends would hang out with. Menma’s death changed everyone in the “Super Peace Busters” and they did not remain together much longer.
Image via Fanpop
This anime series made its way to the top of my recommendations list (especially after I learned the English name and stopped trying to recommend that people watch “Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai"), if not just to see how emotional each of my friends could get. The entire story is a heart-warming nod to the strength of bonds between friends never truly giving way no matter how tough times get, and a wonderful display of how hard it can be to grow up move forward in life.
Like I said, there is a movie adaptation of the series fast approaching, so you may prefer to check out this series in that form rather than watching it as a whole series first. Whichever way you choose, I definitely think you should check out Anohana and let us know if you fell in love with Menma just like I did.




Let us know what you think about this post in the comments section below or connect with us on the Amine Sydney Facebook or Twitter!