Sunday 29 January 2012

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Endless Eight – Were you satisfied?

Picture taken from Haruhi Suzumiya.net 
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is one of my all time favourite animes. It has slight romance, action, comedy and loads of drama. What’s not to love? It’s a existential look at what it means to be a main character. But before I get all deep on you I’ll get back to business. I love Haruhi, but I despised the Endless Eight.
For those of you who don’t know the second season of the Melancholy of Haurhi Suzumiya had fourteen episodes. Eight of them were the same. To be fair they weren’t exactly the same, but after seeing the same story play out three times I was bored and started just skipping scenes. Because I hadn’t known about this Endless Eight I had to keep skimming through to see when it ended and an explanation was given. To me even the explanation was pretty weak. 

Now I’m saying weak compared to say the twist at the end of the Remote Island Syndrome episodes. Or the ending of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya , which has by the way rekindled my love of Haruhi.

However, ALL this being said my boyfriend loved it. He loved picking up the little changes that happened in each episode. The different series of events, the camera angles and character outfits. According to him as the Endless Eight advanced so did the cinematography which made watching the same events repeated eight times enjoyable.

I’m going to take his word for it.  

So who do you agree with? Me or boyfriend? Leave your comments below!